Monday 5 May 2014

Nineteen

After a birthday people often ask if you feel any different than you did a few hours before, being a younger age and honestly some things never change-I type this handicap-idly with a fistful of gummy bears. I've learnt a lot about myself since my 19th birthday, whether that's because I'm in a different environment, no longer a full time student but now a full time worker I don't know but I have noticed some changes. Turning 19 was unexpected and without cliché which I have appreciated. I didn't have many expectations and some people think this is good, so there's no disappointment but I've taken everything in stride and embraced emotions as they've come. I've learnt that I can't control everything around me, whether you like it or not life goes on and you have to move with it or get left behind. Some things never change though, being around older guys have taught me that no matter what age, boys who are not yet men are still very dumb, idiotic and insensitive. I taught myself how to distinguish between terms for example calling 16 year old males 'boys' and 24 year old males who are still 'boys' 'guys' instead. Aswell as learning a bit more about the rival species, I've uncovered information about the league of aspirational women and the trail of imbecile little girls who let the side down to garnish attention from the opposite sex. It may seem as though I've discovered information about everyone except myself but this is the joy of being 19; well getting it right first time that is. 19 is an age rarely mentioned or warned against. Being 19 is all about subtlety, if you're an extrovert this is your year to sit back and observe, find out exactly how to read people and spot the bullshit a mile off. Trust me after a while it becomes so easy to do. Learn from older people, study their achievements and their mistakes and heed that warning. 19 is a purgatory state between youth and adult. I still believe it should be made illegal to address an 18 year old as an adult, here in London at least. At 18 you have no where near the mental capacity needed to be and adult and do it properly. 18 is the year of ill informed, uneducated decisions and 19 comes along to clean up that mess. So many people end up starting University aged 19 and not 18 because of those ill advised decisions but they usually end up with a lot more to show of their year of growth, maturity and progression. At 19 you're young enough to fool older generations into underestimating our talents, wit, intelligence and skill. Working hard at 19 shows people you want to be taken seriously, especially if you have the facial features of a 16 year old teenager. No ones going to call you a teenager and no one will respect you like an adult until you show them your edge, and this comes naturally once you've mastered being 19. 19 is a good year, just don't mess it up.  

No comments:

Post a Comment